Sunday, October 23, 2011

Great Barrier Reef Flyover

Today I took a 65-minute ride over the Great Barrier Reef in a small Cessna plane. It was by far the smallest plane I've ever been in. It could fit a maximum of 4 people and that was even a little snug. The trip was amazing, though. I gained a whole new appreciation for the reef after seeing it from the air. You can't see it from these pictures, but as we were flying I saw lots of sharks, sea turtles and manta rays from the plane, which was cool. One of the reefs I flew over, Batt Reef, is where Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray. Here are some pictures:
Right before we took off our pilot turned to me and says "If I happen to go unconscious, put the plane at a steady 65 knots and tilt slightly upward right before you land."



This is Batt Reef, where Steve Irwin was killed in 2006


No comments:

Post a Comment