Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Arrived in New Zealand

I arrived in New Zealand late yesterday afternoon. My hostel is about 10 minutes from downtown in a quiet neighborhood. My hostel is kind of strange, its basically just a huge house where they have stuffed 3 beds into rooms that were meant for one. However, it is pretty nice and has a very cozy feel.

New Zealand is still celebrating from their Rugby World Cup victory on Sunday. New Zealanders (Kiwis as they are commonly called) are absolutely obsessed with rugby. Their team is the "All Blacks" and you see All Blacks merchandise and flags everywhere. A question on the New Zealand customs entrance card was even "Are you coming into New Zealand for the 2011 Rugby World Cup?"

The indigenous population of New Zealand are a group of people called the Mauris. They basically look like Somoans. From what I've heard they were treated a little better than the Aborogines were in Australia (which isn't saying much). New Zealand is much more multicultural than Australia. Although Australia has tons of Asians, New Zealand has tons of people that you can't tell where they're from by just looking at them.

Auckland is a fairly small city, with a metro population of only about 1.7 million. I've heard people compare it to Seattle because of the climate and coffee shops everywhere. I have never been to Seattle so I can't adequately judge that claim myself. Thanks for reading, cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment