Monday, November 14, 2011

Future Trip to Asia?

I probably won't be doing another trip like this for a long time, but if I was going to go on another trip I would go on a tour of Southeast Asia (i.e. China, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc.). I have met lots of people on this trip who have gone to SE Asia before coming to Australia and they have all said really good things.

They've all said that the cultural differences between the East and West are fascinating. There are so many weird stories I've heard, like there being not only fake iPods in China, but fake whole Apple stores. One guy put it that "China basically just copies things that are done in the West and makes them cheaper." Also, in China supposedly its customary to spit on the floor of restaurants and public places. I guess before the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games the government made a list of rules for every citizen to follow (i.e. don't spit on the floor) so outsiders wouldn't think badly of the Chinese culture.

Here is an article I found about the fake Apple Stores in China:
Chinese Fake Apple Stores

I've also heard that SE Asia is super cheap. One guy told me you can get a 5 star hotel room in Vietnam for $10 USD per night. Another guy told me he took a taxi ten hours through the Chinese country side and it cost him a total of $12.

On a semi-related note, I have a roommate from Taiwan right now who just got done studying in Brisbane. He studying with a few Chinese people and he said they were all dreading going back home. He said they loved the "freedom" they have in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment