Sunday, November 20, 2011

Review of Australia/New Zealand

As you can probably tell from my enthusiastic blog posts I have a pretty high regard for Australia and New Zealand. However, it's my nature to make everything sound greater than it probably is. In reality, for most typical Americans there probably isn't a need to come here. Mostly everything you get in Australia/NZ you can get in North America: beaches, mountains, scuba diving, skiing, big cities, small coastal towns, and even McDonalds. That's probably why not a lot of people from the USA come here. However, if you can make a trip to either of these countries I would highly recommend it.

Australia: Great weather, very nice people, good food, and lots to do. Australia is so vast that you almost have to have a few weeks to spend here if you want to see more than one area. I really liked every place I visited here. There is probably more to do in Sydney than in Melbourne, but Melbourne is much more relaxed and has a more homey feel. Cairns was cool, but I wouldn't spend five days there like I did. Its the hub of the Great Barrier Reef, which is why most people go there. I would definitely recommend a trip to the Reef if you visit Australia. I didn't go there, but the Whitsunday Islands in Australia are supposedly some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. You can do overnight cruises through the islands and then scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef. Overall, I really liked Australia and enjoyed my time there. I hope that I can come back one day and recall all of the fond memories from my time spent here.

New Zealand: Stunningly beautiful scenery, great wildlife, nice people, and tons of outdoor activities to choose from. New Zealand isn't as ritzy or wealthy as Australia, but it has loads to offer in terms of natural beauty. Many people say that NZ's South Island is the most beautiful place in the world. Its definitely the most beautiful place I've ever been too. It's like God smushed lakes, mountains, glaciers, rainforests, prairies and deserts all together and made NZ's South Island. Auckland was pretty cool, but I wouldn't spend a week there like I did. You could go to NZ and do a 9 day tour like I did and it would be well worth it. Queenstown was probably my favorite city that I visited out of my whole trip. The Doubtful Sound was probably the prettiest. Overall, I loved NZ and my 9 day tour was probably the funnest thing I did during my time here.

If I had 10 days to spend and someone made me pick between Australia and New Zealand, I would go to NZ's South Island. NZ supposedly has some of the best trout fishing in the world, and I'd love to go back there for that reason alone. If I went back I would also sky dive, I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't do that while I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment