Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Queenstown, New Zealand

I have spent the last two days in Queenstown, New Zealand, which is in the southern middle part of the island. I don't want to speak to soon, but Queenstown has been my favorite city on my trip so far. They call it the "Adventure Capital of the World." Bungy jumping was invented here several decades ago. There are tons of outdoor activities you can do: bungy jumping, fishing, hunting, sky diving, canyoning, mega swings, luging, hang-gliding, para-gliding, etc.). You can also ski in the winter and there are lots of nice restaurants, hotels, and shops. Its a huge hub for young travelers.

Queenstown is nestled in the Southern Alps right on the shore of Lake Wakatipu, a huge lake. My first day here I went on a tour of the Lord of the Rings filming sites in the area and today I took a gondola up to the top of a mountain overlooking Queenstown and did some luging. I wanted to go fishing because they supposedly have some really good trout fishing here, but you have to go with two people and the other guys on my trip didn't want to go. Here are some pics from Queenstown:
Very famous burger place. Probably the best burger of my life

Group dinner


Getting ready to luge


View from the top of the gondola

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the posts! Sounds and looks great. Dad

    ReplyDelete