Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wednesday Cricket Match

Tomorrow afternoon I am going to a cricket match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, supposedly one of the best cricket stadiums in the world. The Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG for short) seats almost 100,000 people. Here is a picture of the stadium:
Melbourne Cricket Ground

The match I am going to is Victoria vs. Western Australia, two Australian state teams. They call these matches "domestic matches." The "international matches" (i.e. Australia vs. South Africa) are much more popular and they easily fill the stadium for those games. However, there will probably be only around 1,000 fans in attendance for tomorrow's game. This is perfectly fine with me because a) I wouldn't have any clue what was going on even if I went to a good game, b) I am going to have my choice of the best seats in the house, and c) my ticket was only $10.

I've had the rules of cricket explained to me dozens of times since I've been over here, but I won't bore you with the specifics. From what I gather, it's basically like baseball expect they only have two bases. Games are known to be somewhat boring to the average fan (also kind of like baseball) and matches can sometimes carry on for 5 days.

I'm really looking forward to the game though, I really wanted to see a cricket match while I was over here and I'm glad I have the perfect opportunity to do so. By the numbers of fans, cricket is the second most popular sport in the world behind soccer. Although most of this is due to its fanatic fan base in India (supposedly cricket is a way of life over there), its also very popular in Australia, South Africa, England, and several Caribbean islands. Rumor has it Trinidad and Tobago used to have the most feared pitchers in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment